To provide the highest quality facilities and a physical environment that supports and promotes the academic programs of The Ohio State University at Newark and Central Ohio Technical College
The Department of Facilities Planning and Operations oversees six major academic buildings, two residence halls and several smaller facilities equaling approximately 600,000 sq. ft. of building space residing on 155 acres of property at the Newark Campus. Off-site locations in Coshocton, Mt. Vernon and Pataskala, Ohio total 80,000 sq. ft.
Approximately 50 full-time employees and a number of part-time and student workers comprise this department. They form interconnected, principal management “teams” within the department focused on Administrative, Custodial, Extended Campus, Maintenance, Grounds, and Public Safety services. Other department functions include capital and master planning, project/construction management, event coordination, space utilization (HEI data reporting), prevailing wage reporting, academic scheduling of space, business continuity planning, facilities audits, and administration of safety and security operations for the general public (including insurance, OSHA, fire, and indoor-air quality reviews).
The Maintenance, Custodial and Grounds offices are responsible for:
- building operations and maintenance
- cleaning services
- lawn and landscape services
The Project Management office is responsible for:
- campus construction
- renovation and restoration projects
- current and future space planning
The Space Management office is responsible for:
- the creation of a master schedule for classrooms and laboratories
- the scheduling of meetings and events for faculty, staff and students
- event support
The Public Safety office is responsible for:
- safety of faculty, staff and students
- traffic, parking and vehicle permits
- criminal background checks
- vehicle assistance
Dave Mettler - Building Maintenance Superintendent
Steve Riley - Building Operations Technician 1
Anthony Merriman - Plumber 1
Bryan Woolard - Construction Technician 1
Kyle Lumbatis - Electrician 2
John McDonald - Building Supervisor, Coshocton Campus
Kevin Metz - Assistant Building Supervisor, Coshocton Campus
Jim Wright - Building Supervisor, Pataskala Campus
Robert Drakeford - Assistant Building Supervisor, Pataskala Campus
Mark Miller - Building Supervisor, Knox Campus
Kirk Tarr - Assistant Building Supervisor, Knox Campus
- Maintenance of campus wide digital control system that monitors building operations and conditions 24 hours a day.
- Maintenance of basic building systems: heating, cooling, electrical, plumbing, and ventilation.
- Maintenance of kitchen equipment , restroom and shower fixtures, and drinking fountains.
- Renovation and remodeling of walls, doorways, ceilings, lighting, interior painting, woodwork, baseboard, and carpet.
- Construction of custom shelving, cabinets, and countertops using a wide variety of materials.
- Technical Support for campus events with special and lighting requirements.
- Assist Grounds Department with repair of equipment. especially during snow removal season.
Norman Holmes - Housekeeping Manager
Matt Thorbahn - Custodial Work Supervisor
Vacant - Custodial Work Supervisor
1st Shift 6:00 A.M. - 2:30 P.M.
Warner Center: Raymond Hill
Lefevre Hall: Douglas Gill
Founders Hall: Kevin Meyer
Hopewell Hall: Dennis Beach
2nd Shift 4:00 P.M. - 12:30 A.M.
Reese Center: Chanel Thompson
Lefevre Hall: Brian Ramsey
Founders Hall East: Richard Mathis
Founders Hall West: Vacant
Hopewell Hall South: Sam Irvin
Hopewell Hall North: Logan Pennington
Warner Center: Lee Ann Hensley
North Classroom Building: Matt Thorbahn
Adena Hall: Betty Snelling
Floater Position: Vacant
Special Shift 10:00 A.M. - 6:30 P.M. or adjustment by needs of the university
Reese Center: Linda Chadwick
- Daily Removal of trash and garbage from campus buildings.
- Cleaning of buildings and restrooms, which includes sweeping, damp mopping, dusting, polishing, sanitizing, window washing, power washing, carpet extraction, scrubbing with automatic floor scrubber, and restocking of towel, soap, and toilet paper dispensers.
- Event set-up, tear down and clean-up for both in-house and outside organizations.
- Overtime support for events.
- Assist with office moves.
- Maintain custodial equipment.
- Report custodial equipment malfunctions.
- Report needed building repairs.
- Report building system malfunctions.
- Report security violations and/or suspicious activity.
- Lock or unlock as scheduled or directed.
- Trash removal
- Classrooms and laboratories
- Public Areas (student dining rooms, lounges, library, hallways, etc.)
Dan Longstreth - Grounds Superintendent
David Dowell - Groundskeeper 3
Andrew Moran - Groundskeeper 2
Charles Courson - Groundskeeper 1
Vacant - Groundskeeper 1
- Care of campus grounds, which includes mowing, weeding, leaf removal, turf renovation, ornamental and herbaceous planting, pruning and removals; fertilization of turf and plant material, and the application of pesticides and herbicides.
- Daily policing of campus grounds and the Rotary Pavilion complex to remove trash and debris from lawn, roadways, parking lots, sidewalks, building entryways and handicapped playground.
- Maintenance and repair of trucks, tractors, bat-wing mowing deck, Versavac lawn sweeper, Grasshopper riding mowers, John Deere Gators, maintenance van, golf carts, snow plows, lawn mowers, weed eaters, chainsaws and hand tools.
- Removal of snow and ice from parking lots, roadways and sidewalks.
- Landscape design services.
- Coordinate activities of the "Adopt-a-Garden" Club composed of faculty, staff and volunteers.
- Assist with office moves.
Space Management Staff
Jeremy Pursley - Space Management Coordinator
Tim McVay- Event Coordinator
- Creation of semester master schedule for classrooms and laboratories in conjunction with COTC and Ohio State Newark.
- Creation of semester final examination in conjunction with COTC and Ohio State Newark.
- Scheduling of meeting and events for campus faculty, staff and student organizations.
- Publication of daily, weekly and monthly event schedules on Webviewer.
- Schedule set-up tear down, clean-up and overtime for in-house events for all buildings.
- Serve as liaison with Conference Services regarding event set-up, tear down, clean-up and overtime for Reese Center events.
- General office support for the Superintendent of Facilities, Project Manager and Project Coordinator.
- Maintain the Facilities Planning and Operations website.
- Provide a safe, clean, healthy and aesthetically pleasing environment
- Provide facilities that operate day and night without interruption
- Promote excellent customer service
- To be proactive in understanding the changing needs of our customers
- Facilitate the efficient and effective management of resources
- Provide appropriate employee development and training
- Contribute to the success of the Newark Campus