Why Get Involved
Why Should You Become Involved on Campus?
This is a good question! It is one all students ask themselves constantly during their college experience. Such decisions may range from joining a student organization, applying for a campus leadership position, or simply joining others for a social event. When a student finds a group that they connect with, there are many benefits to be gained, which include:
- Offers valuable opportunities to learn more about the campus, fosters connections to faculty and staff members, and builds links to the Columbus campus.
- Assists in meeting new friends and interacting with others; when we share an identity with a group, this helps us stay in college and to succeed.
- Provides constructive co-curricular, social, and recreational opportunities.
- Compliments the classroom by allowing practical application of classroom concepts, theories, and principles.
- Affords “real-life” experiences in areas such as citizenship, work and relationships.
- Enhances self-initiative, independence, responsibility, and time-management.
- Promotes the development of leadership skills, confidence in social skills, and promotes effective listening.
- Provides practical experience in collaboration, teamwork, and being an effective group member.
- Presents opportunities for planning, managing and decision-making.
- Assists in the development of purpose, values and a philosophy of life.
Students enjoy attending the 12th Annual Black Heritage Event Dinner.