Manufacturers worldwide are looking for employees who have these characteristics and possess skills that integrate business and leadership principles with engineering processes and technical knowledge. The engineering technology program, which includes a concentration in manufacturing, was developed with input from global manufacturers.
As part of Ohio State’s nationally ranked engineering college, engineering technology graduates are prepared for a manufacturing leadership role by knowing how to:
- Apply appropriate engineering technologies and 21st-century tools
- Analyze problems using a systems approach
- Bring the needs of people into the equation
- Use strong interpersonal and communication skills
- Employ effective business analysis of decisions in local and global contexts
- On admission to the Ohio State Newark campus, students may enroll directly into the four-year engineering technology program.
Career opportunities in engineering technology
Engineering technology graduates will be well prepared for career opportunities in today's highly automated manufacturing industry.
Average salaries for engineering technology graduates range between $80,000 and $87,000 annually.
Engineering technology graduates will be prepared for a career in a manufacturing plant, consulting firm, or industrial and control and automation organization in a diverse number of industries. Sample career paths for an engineering technology graduate include:
- Process engineer
- Manufacturing engineer
- Operational excellence team member
- Operations supervisor
- Process improvement leader
Experiences to make students marketable upon graduation
The Ohio State Newark campus offers a world-class engineering technology education in a personalized and cost-effective learning environment. Students receive hands-on lab experiences in our state-of the-art facilities and have the opportunity to participate in undergraduate research.
In addition, Ohio State Newark partners with regional manufacturers to offer immersive and applicable internship and senior capstone experiences. Engineering technology students can also join student chapters of nationally-recognized industry organizations including the Society of Manufacturing Engineers, the National Society of Professional Engineers or the Society of Women Engineers.