Newark Campus Recreational Sports provides intramural, recreation and fitness opportunities for students, faculty and staff of Ohio State Newark and Central Ohio Technical College.
In addition to all available federal, state, local and university guidelines, Recreational Sports follows guidance of national sports governing bodies to ensure physical distancing practices and other safety protocols are in place to maintain a "faster, stronger, healthier, happier" lifestyle to our students and faculty.
Per university guidelines we are requiring visitors to wear masks regardless of the type of exercise or vaccination status. Health checks are not required.
The following facility changes have been made to promote physical distancing:
- Fitness equipment is distanced at least six feet apart following state guidelines.
- Six to 10 feet of physical distance is maintained in all activity spaces.
- Facility occupancy is limited to 60%.
- Shared equipment is limited and available for checkout. Users may bring their own equipment for personal use.
- Recreational sports follows cleaning and disinfection guidelines outlined in the facilities section.
- Staff in facilities are stationed in areas to clean equipment and other high touch spaces regularly throughout the day. All spaces are also be cleaned and disinfected nightly.
- Cleaning supplies are available to patrons and are encouraged to be used on equipment pre- and post-workout.
Activities, programs and services
- Activities are permitted but limited to or reduced to no physical contact, such as cardio, strength training, running, jogging, walking, or weightlifting. The use of the court may be limited to approved classes and for individual users.
- Group fitness classes available virtually.
- Day lockers are limited and operated with physical distancing in place.
Personal safety expectations
All students, faculty, staff and visitors are required to wear a face mask indoors at all times, regardless of their vaccination status. Masks must cover the nose, mouth and chin. Members should modify their activity level to accommodate wearing a mask.
Sunday–Saturday: noon–5 p.m.
Hours of operation vary depending on the time of the year and special events taking place in the gymnasium. If you have questions about specific daily hours of operation, please contact the center directly: 740.755.7105. Adena Hall is located at 1159 University Drive.
- State-of-the-art cardio machines
- New weight equipment and racks
Adena Recreation Center
The Adena Recreation Center is open throughout the day and evening for recreational use by students, faculty, and staff of the Newark campus. Participants must present their BUCK-ID for entry to the facility.
- 1500 square feet
- Wood floors and mirrored walls
- Multipurpose grass turf field 50 yds x 80 yds
- Used for multiple sports and classes
- 14,000 square feet of space
- 2 full size basketball courts or
- 2 full volleyball courts
Until further notice there will be no open gym for indoor soccer or basketball.
Wellbeats Competition January 10-April 25, 2022
Visit Adena Recreation Center font desk to enter.
Watched videos - 1 point
Downloaded videos - 2 points
Most points wins special prize!
Some Intramural Sports are suspended (1.10.22) until further notice.
Intramural Sports - Leagues or Tournaments
Register for Intramural Sports at imleagues.com and download the IMleagues app for your smartphone
- Dodge Ball
Suspended unless played outdoor:
- Flag football
- 3v3 Basketball
- Ping Pong
- Indoor Soccer (futsal)
- Strength Competition Lifting
- Strength Competition Crossfit
- Golf Scramble
- Ultimate Frisbee
- Race to the Finish 5K
• Our student staff is a key component in our approach to fulfill our mission, vision and values of the Student Life and Recreation Sports Programs.
• See our current job listings at Financial Aid.
Visit our Intramurals page to find out more about what events you can get involved in this semester.
Recreation Sports Calendar