Newark Campus Recreational Sports provides intramural, recreation and fitness opportunities for students, faculty and staff of Ohio State Newark and Central Ohio Technical College.
In addition to all available federal, state, local and university guidelines, Recreational Sports follows guidance of national sports governing bodies to ensure physical distancing practices and other safety protocols are in place.
Daily Health Check required
Anyone accessing the recreation facilities, including for academic classes, will need to show a green status from their Daily Health Check to proceed through the access control point. Students who do not have a smart device can visit the facility front desk to complete the health check on an iPad, which will include a temperature check before entry to the facility is allowed. Please note that as of Sunday, January 31, students’ Daily Health Report status will also take testing compliance into account. Students who do not complete their weekly testing will have a red passport until the next time a test is
completed. This will not impact health report status for students who have an approved testing exemption on file. This is an additional way we can continue to promote health and safety and fight the spread of COVID-19 in our community.
Read more about the Daily Health Check.
The following facility changes have been made to promote physical distancing:
- Fitness equipment is distanced at least six feet apart following state guidelines.
- Six to 10 feet of physical distance is maintained in all activity spaces.
- Facility occupancy is limited.
- Shared equipment is limited and available for checkout. Users may bring their own equipment for personal use.
- Recreational sports follows cleaning and disinfection guidelines outlined in the facilities section.
- Staff in facilities are stationed in areas to clean equipment and other high touch spaces regularly throughout the day. All spaces are also be cleaned and disinfected nightly.
- Cleaning supplies are available to patrons and are encouraged to be used on equipment pre- and post-workout.
Activities, programs and services
- Activities are permitted but limited to or reduced to no physical contact, such as cardio, strength training, running, jogging, walking, or weightlifting. The use of the court may be limited to approved classes and for individual users.
- Group fitness classes available virtually.
- Day lockers are limited and operated with physical distancing in place.
Personal safety expectations
All members are required to wear a face mask at all times. Masks must cover the nose, mouth and chin. Members must wear a mask during all activity and should modify their activity level to accommodate wearing a mask.
Monday 8 a.m. - 8 p.m.
Tuesday 8 a.m. - 8 p.m.
Wednesday 8 a.m. - 8 p.m.
Thursday 8 a.m. - 8 p.m.
Friday 8 a.m. - 8 p.m.
New hours beginning May 3
Monday 11 a.m. - 8 p.m.
Tuesday 11 a.m. - 8 p.m.
Wednesday 11 a.m. - 8 p.m.
Thursday 11 a.m. - 8 p.m.
Friday 11 a.m. - 8 p.m.
- State-of-the-art cardio machines
- New weight equipment and racks
Adena Recreation Center
The Adena Recreation Center is open throughout the day and evening for recreational use by students, faculty, and staff of the Newark campus. Participants must present their BUCK-ID for entry to the facility.
- 1500 square feet
- Wood floors and mirrored walls
- Multipurpose grass turf field 50 yds x 80 yds
- Used for multiple sports and classes
- 14,000 square feet of space
- 2 full size basketball courts or
- 2 full volleyball courts
Intramural Sports - Leagues or Tournaments
Register for Intramural Sports at imleagues.com and download the IMleagues app for your smartphone
- Flag football
- 3v3 Basketball
- 3 Point Shoot Out
- Table Tennis
- Indoor Soccer (futsal)
- Strength Competition Lifting
- Strength Competition Crossfit
- Cornhole Tournament
- Golf Scramble
- Ultimate Frisbee
- Race to the Finish 5K
- Sand Volleyball
• Our student staff is a key component in our approach to fulfill our mission, vision and values of the Student Life and Recreation Sports Programs.
• See our current job listings at Financial Aid.
Visit our Intramurals page to find out more about what events you can get involved in this semester.
Recreation Sports Calendar