Buckeye Generation Learning Community
Enrich your first-year experience!
The purpose of the Buckeye Generation Learning Community (BGLC) is to assist first-generation college students with their first year of college. Students, who participate in the BGLC can expect to be involved in opportunities outside of the classroom that will allow them to have a hands-on approach to courses and different majors. Students can also engage in social and cultural events planned by peer coaches to help them connect with their peers in the learning community.
Additionally, students will gain the opportunity to work closely with our BGLC faculty members, which can assist with exploring majors and the transition to the Columbus campus if that is their plan. Students will take two common courses in both the fall and spring semesters, which includes one general education course and an arts and sciences course each semester.
The learning community creates opportunities for students to form partnerships with each other and build professional connections. Student-centered social and cultural events are designed to create opportunities for exposure and social connectedness. This program is open to first-generation college students who are in their first year.
Benefits of participation:
- Students will attend social and cultural events planned by their peer mentors to build connections with other participants in the learning community.
- Students have opportunities to engage in out-of-class experiences and trips for hands-on applications to courses and different majors.
- Connections with faculty and staff assists students through their major and the transition to Columbus if that is their plan.
- Students are pre-enrolled into 4 courses taken together as a cohort with weekly individualized study tables to support their ultimate success.
- Students can receive a $600 academic scholarship if they apply by the April 1 deadline.
- Receive priority consideration for Newark Campus Residence Hall housing for those who apply to the learning community by April 1. Please visit our blog link below for more details about housing paperwork and paying the housing deposit. u.osu.edu/bglc
- Students interested in becoming a member of the Buckeye Generation Learning Community should complete the BGLC Application for full consideration.
- Applicants are encouraged to pay their Ohio State Newark Acceptance Fee for full consideration for BGLC
- Students who apply by the April 1 deadline will be able to receive the $600 academic scholarship
- For details on the application process and more students can visit: u.osu.edu/bglc
Who are the participants?
- A population of 120 diverse first-generation college students.
The Ohio State University defines first-generation as neither parent has received a bachelor’s degree.
- These students are in their first year of college.
Students who participate in college preparatory programs and enrolled in college courses while in high school are eligible.
BGLC Donor Partnership
Our Buckeye Generation Learning Community donors have made great impact in the lives of many. If you are interested in learning more about donating to the BGLC program, please visit the Ohio State Newark Day of Giving page.
The scholarship fund is: Buckeye Generation Learning Community | Campus Campaign Fund Number: 315801
Please read the story from one of our donors here:
Fund Established to Support Newark Campus Buckeye Generation Learning Community