Education Teaching and Learning Community
Engage in career focused experiential learning activities during your first year!
The Teaching and Learning Community (TLC) offers social and academic support for new first year students while also providing an opportunity to engage in career focused experiential learning activities. These opportunities allow students in their first year to make connections with education professionals, see first-hand the work being done in the field, and build a foundation for success in the program. Students, who participate in TLC can expect to learn study skill strategies, take core classes in a cohort-based model, and build a team of faculty and peer support at Ohio State University at Newark.
Additionally, students will gain the opportunity to work closely with our TLC faculty members in order to enrich their overall experience. Students take two common courses throughout the year, which includes a first year survey course. The first year survey course allow students to acquire learning, team building and leadership skills as well as personal success strategies. The learning community creates opportunities for students to form partnerships with each other and build professional connections. Student centered social and cultural events are designed to create opportunities for exposure and social connectedness.
Benefits of participation:
- Faculty mentors.
- Peer support.
- Planned social and cultural events throughout the year.
- Career based professional development.
- Strong support system throughout the pre‐major.
- Take classes together as a cohort.
Who are the participants?
- First year students whose pre-majors are in Early Childhood and Middle Childhood Education
- Students interested in becoming a member of the Education Teaching and Learning Community should complete the TLC Application for full consideration.
- Applicants are encouraged to pay their Ohio State acceptance fee for full consideration.
- For details on the application process and more students can visit: u.osu.edu/educationtlc
TLC Donor Partnership
If you are interested in learning more about donating to the Education Teaching & Learning Community, please visit our Development Office at: newark.osu.edu/giving.