Student Employment Hiring Process
These steps apply to the positions in Area 1 of Current Job Openings
|Apply for a Position
- Review current job openings on Area 1 Student Employment website.
- Complete application and submit to Office of Financial Aid
- Application will be: OFA section completed, copied and forwarded to supervisor(s) for consideration.
|Secure a Position
- Promptly respond to any contact from supervisor.
- Follow-up with supervisor(s) concerning application if needed.
- Interview, ask questions and be clear about supervisor's expectations
- Accept or decline job offer, whichever is applicable
- Repeat step 1, if needed
|Complete "On Boarding" Process
- New student employee instructions will be sent via OSU email after the hiring supervisor initiates the 'on-boarding" process (step 3-supervisor).
- Follow ALL of the "New Student Employee Instructions" sent to your school email.
- Follow "welcome" instructions sent to your school email
- Discuss start date with supervisor
- Refer to the Employee Handbook for program specifics.
Create a Position
- Request a template from Coordinator
- Complete template, send to Coordinator for a job# and pay rate
- Request description to be posted (if needed)
Select a Student
- Review applications as they are received via interoffice mail
- Conduct interviews
- Contact applicants regarding their application status
- Complete "Supervisor Section" of application
- Request job posting to be removed from website (if applicable)
|Initiate "On-Boarding" Process|
- Complete "Intent to Hire" form.
Return applications to Coordinator.
Create your file for new hire paperwork/information
- Start the background check and work permit processes (if applicable)
- Cause student's current eligibility status to be verified
- Prompt on-boarding instructions to be sent to student (supervisor will be cc'd)
- Prompt a DocuSign Envelope (new hire paperwork) to be sent to student
- Generate a Payroll Authorization (if a background check and/or work permit are not required)
|Complete "On-Boarding" Process|
- Complete Supervisor Section of Payroll Authorization
- Re-enforce/support the student in completing their on-boarding steps
- When the on boarding process is complete the student will receive a "welcome" email (supervisor will be cc'd) with instructions on direct deposit, W-4, how to access etimecard, etc (step 3 - student).
- Refer to the Supervisor Handbook for program specifics.
The Hiring Process for positions in Area 2 of the Current Job Openings are unique for each position
Information Technology Services
TIP: It never hurts to check in with individual supervisors to show interest in their posted position. It gives the supervisor an opportunity to meet the applicant, and put a face with a name.
Have questions? Email Financial Aid.